If desired, you can change the automatic putting feature in E6. The Player Enters Number is a feature that allows the golfer to enter the desired number of putts when their ball reaches the green and is within a certain distance from the hole. This is also known as the Auto Putt feature.
NOTE: This setting also applies to the Computer Enters Number feature, see this related article.
WARNING: Improperly altering the defaults.stg file can cause unexpected behavior in E6. Only change the setting described in this article, do not alter any other settings. You may wish to create a backup of the defaults.stg file before making any changes.
To configure the desired Auto Putt distance:
- Open My Computer.
- Double-click the C:\ drive.
- Double-click the FSG folder.
- Double-click the E6 folder.
- Locate the file called defaults.stg and double-click to open it.
- If prompted, choose the Select the program from a list radio button.
- Then select Notepad and click OK. This will open the file with the Notepad program.
- Scroll down until you see the <Game Settings> section (see example below).
- Change the AutoPuttDistance setting to the number of feet (from the pin) that you want Auto Putt to start. For example, enter 12 if you want to enter your putts when the ball is within 12 feet of the hole. Or you can enter -1 and the game will AutoPutt as soon as the ball lands on the green, regardless of the distance to the hole.
Example of the defaults.stg section to be modified:
<GameSettings SessionID="DefaultSessionID" bTournament="False">
<PuttingSettings Arrow="ALIGN BREAK" ArrowFade="ARROW FADE OFF" AutoPuttDistance="12" Mode="6 FOOT GIMMIE"/>
<AutoScoringThresholds A="5.00" B="35.00" C="75.00"/>
<TracerSettings Mainview="comet" Topview="solid"/>
<Grid Depth="60" Set="GRID OFF"/>
<BallSize Set="SMALL BALL"/>
<SessionTimerSettings ColorChange="5" Time="0" Warning="5"/>
<Names szCourseName="Emerald Dunes" szMopName="Stroke"/>